6 January 2014

Happy New Year

A bit late posting this but just been distracted by all the little things in life. Mr Binx is getting better by day and has such amazing recall now compared to when he first came. I'm so proud of this little man, coming in as a scruffy dog who wasn't too fussed about anything he has turned into a loyal lap dog. He was untrained, wouldn't come when called and peed everywhere, now he will let me know when he wants to go out, has being taught paw and lay down and comes flying at me when I shout his name. He loves to be with me at all times and if hes left with someone else at work he will pine for me until I come back to see him. At home he is either sleeping with Tinks or asleep on my knee. Its fair to say I'm slowly falling for this little man and everyone who sees us together can tell we do have a bond. But his anxiety around other dogs wouldn't make it fair on foster dogs, although we do have plenty of room in the house for one more :P 

Now think you'll all love this video of Mr Binx, even though the quality is terrible, its winter and it was windy! And wasn't really concentrating on the camera, more what mischief the dogs were up to! You can see how much he loves running off lead and how much he shadows Tinks around! They are best friends and just goes to show this boy needs to be with another dog to give him confidence. It may take days/weeks for him to get used to a new dog but I feel it will be worth it knowing this little man is happy. Following a vet trip the other day we learnt that Binx has a bit of a dodgy knee so would be best on Glucosamine tablets just to prevent any future problems. It doesn't bother him at all and the vet is not concerned with it so neither am I :) 


 


So finally I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year. Don't make unrealistic resolutions you won't stick to, instead do something that is realistic and will make a difference. Make a resolution to at least try and foster, you never know you may become addicted! Get a rescue dog instead of a puppy. Donate a small bit of money a month to someone who needs it more than you. Tell those you love you love them every single day. A resolution doesn't have to be something huge, just something little like spending an hour daily with your dogs? Theres 24 hours in a day, one hour is not a lot of time and your dog will appreciate that one on one attention. 

My resolution? To decide what I want to do with my life, to start my future. Do something I'll enjoy and get where I want in life. I think I'll start training to become a dog behaviourist, do a course, see where that gets me. And to get some hands on experience where they need it most. My choice? I think I'll go do a week volunteering at a dog rescue in Romania. Over here we are extremely lucky with our stray dog situation, dogs are given 7 days, sometimes even longer and some will get lucky and go to a dog rescue or to forever homes, a small amount will get PTS in the kindest way possible. In Romania to euthanase a dog is pretty much to torture one. I want to help out in a shelter over there, I want to see with my own eyes how bad the situation is. As they say seeing is believing and I can't help much but at least spending one week of my time will open my eyes and help me spread the word and obviously help the dogs over there. I think I've found a rescue I want to help when I'm over there but suggestions are welcome.

Lucy, Tinks, Sally and Mr Binx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment