17 August 2013

Building a Routine

Rescue is never easy and that means neither does being a foster but it is so rewarding! The hardest part of being a foster isn't when they go to their new homes, its the challenging dogs you get in. The fact that every dog you get in is different and you need to learn how to treat each dog. But imagine how much you get to learn, imagine the feeling when a dog comes in a mess and goes out a totally different dog. Take Bunny... everyone remembers Easter Bunny. When Bunny first came into rescue, she hid in my tiny 'hallway' (if it can be called that) and would go nowhere near people. As soon as we let her outside with Tinks, I knew she was going to be a great dog. She jumped for joy and ran like there was no tomorrow but still inside she would not approach humans. After a couple of weeks I could get her to come over to me with a treat in my hand, but still when people came to view her she was very wary. It didn't stop the lovely couple who ended up taking her all the way up to Scotland. Less than 6 months on Bunny is a changed girl, she is their pride and joy and a really mischievous young girl! She has ruined a load of their things but not their lives! The best thing about Bunny is the frequent updates I get from the couples daughter, who is now pregnant. Bunny is so loyal and loving she knows and has been resting her head on her stomach. I will never forget Bunny but her story is truly one of pure joy in rescue.

Anyway I got a bit off track there, I was going to say about Oscar. Oscar is hard work, even by my standards. He is so hyperactive and can go from calm to mouthing/biting in a matter of minutes. Although he does not intend harm and is only trying to play, hes a hyper boy and I don't think he realises it at times! We're still getting round to finding a way to stop this, at the moment its all about ignoring him when these behaviours come into play. We did try lemon juice to stop mouthing the hands but it turns out he loves it! He tries to go near the little juice bottle and then although he pulls a funny face when its in his mouth he comes back for more! We will get there though but he will need continuous training and I can't reiterate that enough. Thankfully the routine we're settling in now is preventing any more food agression problems. In the morning Oscar is crated for his biscuits while I eat my breakfast, then in the afternoon it is similar. Oscar is crated while I make and eat tea and then has his biscuits, while my girls have their food in the other room. So far it is working well and he's had no more problems with our Sal, in fact he just keeps trying to play with her, much to her dismay. Even if she growls at him and tells him no he just ignores her and tries to play. Obviously this boy is very dog friendly, as long as food isn't involved. Although it is bad me listing all his problems, none of these are not solvable in time! I mean when Oscar first came in he wouldn't sit still for a minute, right now he is curled up next to me fast asleep. In a loving home this boy wil be just fine and we will find that for him! 

I think thats all for now, I need to do a full rescue update at some point but I will get round to that next week when I have more time... I am going away on Thursday, dogsitting i Scotland so I will still have internet access to keep you updated on the rescue but I'm leaving Oscar with my dad so can only give small updates on him based on what my dad says

Lucy, Tinks, Sally and Oscar x

No comments:

Post a Comment